The thriving town of Jindera is located just 15 kilometres northwest of Albury Wodonga and offers lifestyle alternatives with several new residential subdivisions and rural living lots.
Originally settled in the 1830’s, the area was initially called ‘Dight’s Forest’ after a friend of Hamilton Hume but was renamed in 1869 after German immigrants in search of land journeyed from South Australia by wagon-train and settled in the area. The early village managed to sustain four hotels, a butcher, baker and a flour mill while providing for the immediate rural community.
Today the availability of residential and industrial land, quality services and the proximity to Albury Wodonga has ensured its steady growth in recent years and contributed to making Jindera a popular and viable alternative for families.
With a population of approximately 1000 people, Jindera still has a powerful sense of its past with a number of buildings remaining of historical significance.
One of the most significant of these is the Jindera Pioneer Museum. Located in the main street, the Museum is a past winner of the Museum of the Year Award for museums in country NSW. The award winning Museum has a wonderful complex of buildings, including the original Wagner’s Store, a reconstructed slab hut, the old Huon Post Office, early farm machinery and a Blacksmith’s forge. The shop building is preeminent in NSW for its original shop fittings and furnishings and plays host to many hundreds of visitors throughout the year.
Jindera’s surrounding area is proving a particularly popular drawcard for hobby farmers and others seeking a larger block living alternative or rural lifestyle allotment, while the commercial sector has been bolstered with the recent establishment of a supermarket and shopping complex. These coupled together with the existing sporting facilities and family friendly environment makes Jindera an excellent investment in the future.